Thursday, June 28, 2012

Witness to history.

I witnessed some history today. After getting poor sleep and waking up to feel like I was coming down with a cold, I got to work and opened the Supreme Court blog to realize that there was no way I could let this happen a mile away and not be part of it. So, without warning or planning, I grabbed my purse and ran to the bus stop. I got off at the wrong stop and had to book it across the Capitol lawn. Weaving through a HUGE throng of people, I finally managed to find K and her co-workers right in front of the Supreme Court just as the cheers started up from the crowd. It was total chaos after that – protestors on both sides were going back and forth. A Tea Party "advocate" had a sound system and was condemning the Court for not reading the Constitution. There were boos and cheers and hugs and people looking every emotion possible. My little group (two of which I had not met prior to today) hugged and took photos. It was truly an experience.

And I almost didn’t go. I am so glad that I can still be spontaneous and that I realize just how amazing this summer really is for me.

I am proud to be an American today.

No comments:

Post a Comment